Wild About Trails
Join Friends for our June Wild Speaker Series, "Wild About Trails" in an online Zoom presentation. Our staff are teaming up to share all the intel you'll need to plan a backcountry adventure this summer - just in time for National Trails Day 2021 (Saturday, June 5th)! Join us to hear about:
- The current state of trails in northern, central, and southern Nevada.
- Trail crew accomplishments over the past few years and what's in the works for this season, specifically touching on trails in the Ruby Mountains, Table Mountain, Alta Toquima, and Arc Dome Wilderness areas.
- What goes into creating a trail map, specifically touching on maps for the Spring Mountains NRA, Toiyabe Crest Trail, Ruby Crest Trail, and Snake Range.
- The remote nature of northern Nevada, how we are losing trails, and what that means for you.
- In contrast, the heavy use of trails in southern Nevada and how you can help prevent damage from overuse.
- Upcoming volunteer opportunities on trails!
We'll wrap up with a Q&A session to answer all your questions about Nevada's Wilderness trails. This will be an informative chat for the whole family!
Speakers include: Kurt Kuznicki (Associate Director), Nora Richter (Northern Nevada Stewardship Manager), Jake Kastner (GIS/Monitoring Coordinator), Peter Sbraccia (Southern Nevada Stewardship Coordinator), and Tara Kleeman (Trails Coordinator). Grace Palermo (Southern Nevada Programs Director) will host.
Please register on zoom in advance for this meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvceqsrj4vGtR02pbwofel62SCoHF8eWwd
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information about joining the meeting.
Every first Thursday of the month, Friends of Nevada Wilderness hosts a local environmental expert for folks who are interested in the outdoors to learn more about hikes, local habitat, and ways to get involved with conservation efforts. Formerly in the REI Boca Park Community Room, the Wild Speaker Series is online during the COVID-19 Pandemic for the safety of our staff and supporters. We will return to REI Boca Park in the near future and continue to make the Wild Speaker Series available virtually.