Our Inventory season has been extended! Get out and discover some of the most beautiful parts of Nevada!
Position Title: Wilderness Inventory Crew Member
Location: Working out of Reno with extended 6-8 day shifts in the field throughout Northern Nevada
Application Deadline: ASAP (positions to be filled on first come basis)
Position Term: mid-August through October, 2013
Position Summary: The Friends of Nevada Wilderness (FNW), is recruiting full-time seasonal (a flexible schedule of approximately 40 hours/week) wilderness inventory crew members. Crew members will be conducting the wilderness characteristics inventories using the standards required by BLM protocol.
Location: The crew members will be conducting wilderness inventories primarily on Bureau of Land Management lands throughout Northern Nevada. Crew members will be working in various remote, backcountry. Due to the remote nature of the inventory units, camping will be required most nights during the shifts at undeveloped, backcountry areas.
- Ability to work responsibly with fellow crew member and receive and follow direction from the Field Coordinator.
- Ability to work safely in remote locations with limited communication capabilities.
- Ability to operate and maintain electronic equipment in harsh environments
- Ability to work in remote areas
- Able to work in remote areas with limited communication capabilities
- Ability to safely operate and maintain four-wheel drive vehicles in difficult terrain.
- Ability to work long hours in remote locations.
- Ability to provide your own personal camping equipment along with appropriate field clothing.
- Basic computer skills and the ability to operate electronic communication devices
- Map reading will be essential along with knowledge of, or willingness to learn, how to use various handheld devices such as tablet computers, GPS, digital cameras, etc.
- Basic narrative writing and communication skills. Photography skills a plus.
- Level of physical fitness enabling the crew member to carry a 50 lb. pack up to 10 miles per day.
- Valid driver’s license and back country driving experience with 4X4 vehicles. Truck provided.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Verifiable history of remote outdoors camping and travel along with demonstrated capacity to thrive in a rugged outdoor environment.
- Experience with previous wilderness inventories is helpful but not absolutely required. The crew will be using BLM’s Conducting Wilderness Character Inventory Manual on BLM Lands, 6310.
$16 hourly rate. There are no benefits or overtime associated with this position.
To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume and (3) references to Darcy Shepard, Administrative Director Friends of Nevada Wilderness; [email protected]