Washoe County is hosting an open house for the public to learn more about the Washoe County Public Lands Bill on Friday, September 16th and Monday September 19th. Join us and make your voice heard to protect wilderness and open spaces!
Where: Washoe County Administration Complex, Building A – Atrium; 1001 E. 9th Street, Reno NV1001 E. 9th St., Reno, NV
- September 16th 1:00pm – 3:00pm
- September 19th 4:00pm – 6:30pm
As you know, Washoe County is rich with incredible open spaces that offer Northern Nevadans outstanding places for outdoor recreation, solitude, and adventure. With demanding pressures of population growth and development, now is the time for a comprehensive public lands bill that can help our community sustain our quality of life, protect our open spaces and wilderness, and promote economic opportunities.
- Join us at the public open house to express your support for protecting wilderness in Washoe County by passing a comprehensive public lands bill, this year.
- Ask the Washoe County Commission to urge Nevada’s members of Congress to pass a public lands bill this year. If anyone can do this, it will be Senator Reid, Senator Heller, and Congressman Amodei by continuing to work together and make this happen.
- Support protection for Buffalo Hills, Granite-Banjo, Fox Range, Massacre Rim, Macy, and Wall Canyon proposed wilderness areas. These spectacular places are characterized by dramatic vistas, classic canyons, rugged buttes, sweeping valley floors, and upland meadows. These areas are important habitat to iconic Nevada wildlife like desert bighorn sheep, Greater Sage-Grouse, pronghorn, and so many more.
- Learn more about the proposed wilderness areas, including boundary maps and photos at www.nevadawilderness.org/wildwashoe. You can also visit the Washoe County Commission website to learn more about specifics related to the economics portion of the proposal: https://www.washoecounty.us/csd/planning_and_development/conservation-act.php