Saturday October 16th - NDOW Native Planting Restoration Project
Looking for a great way to spend the day in the cool October weather? NDOW and FNW are joining up to for a series of restoration projects in October and November. Each Saturday beginning October 16th and ending November 6th will be at a different location in the Mormon Mountains, approximately 90 minutes north of Las Vegas. Please check the details for the date you wish to participate and on, and contact Matt Flores at NDOW for more details! You can reach Matt at 702-290-5262 or [email protected]
Saturday October 16th, 2021
The Friends of Nevada Wilderness and the Nevada Department of Wildlife will be conducting restoration in the form of a Native Planting event to establish native perennials following a wildfire. Activities will center around an artificial water source for wildlife known as a guzzler. Please arrive at the restoration site at 9:00 am for volunteer registration and a safety briefing.
A high clearance vehicle is required to reach the restoration site which is located along Carp-Elgin Road approximately and hour and a half from Las Vegas. All materials and tools will be provided, but volunteers are responsible for bringing personal gear (e.g., work gloves, sturdy boots, sunglasses, sunscreen, food, water, etc.). Please check the weather conditions prior to the event and come prepared.
For additional information or questions about camping, please contact Matt Flores 702-290-5262 [email protected]. Thank you for your dedication and assistance in helping improve habitat for wildlife in Nevada.
Driving directions and recommendations (From Las Vegas: see map) 1 hour 30 minutes
The Mormon #16 Guzzler is located 80 miles north of the town of Las Vegas Nevada. Directions to the Guzzler/restoration site.
- Head out of town on I-15 north
- Take exit 100 towards Carp/Elgin road
- Turn left onto Carp/Elgin Road, proceed under the freeway and turn right.
- Follow this road for 3.8 miles until it turns left and the pavement ends.
- Follow this dirt road for 16.7 miles. Stay on the main road. The road will go under the power lines, past a sign for Hackberry springs road, over Rainbow pass and past a sign for Horse Hollow Road.
- Turn left onto a faint two-track road. Look for the volunteer event sign. the two-track road is in good shape. Follow this road for 1.3 miles to the restoration site
Camping is available on dispersed areas along Carp/Elgin road. No amenities are provided.
Google Map and Directions