Friends of Nevada Wilderness "Refuge" gallery this July
Where the Pavement Ends by Erik Holland: featured in our previous gallery
Friends of Nevada Wilderness returns to Artown this year featuring the “Refuge” gallery. Boasting stellar nature photography, as well as paintings, sketches, prints, and found object sculpture all celebrating Nevada’s nine scenic wildlife refuges and public lands. National Wildlife Refuges are areas that are critically important habitats for wildlife and create a sanctuary space in the face of increasing urbanization and loss of habitat. The refuges are important for humans too. In an uncertain world facing unprecedented obstacles, finding peace by connecting with the rhythms of nature is healing for the human spirit. Experience these stunning landscapes with our virtual gallery, learn about the unique wildlife & ecologies of these special places, as told through the artistic visions of local artists. Proceeds support Nevada artists as well as Friends of Nevada Wilderness and our work protecting and stewarding your public lands.
The gallery will run from July 10th to the 17th and can be viewed online for the first time ever! Art in the gallery will be available for purchase on our online store and helps support local artists as well as Friends of Nevada Wilderness’ mission to keep Nevada wild.
We are seeking submissions!
2020 APPLICATION GUIDELINES
Friends of Nevada Wilderness is currently accepting submissions for the 2020 Artown Friends of Nevada Wilderness “REFUGE” virtual gallery. This exhibit is open to Nevada artists only, both amateurs and professionals working in all mediums of visual art, including painting, drawing, photography, mixed media, fabric, printmaking, and more are welcome to submit. Artists are welcome to submit individually or as a collective. All submitted artworks MUST be original, created by the person/art collective who enters the competition.
The theme for this group exhibition is Nevada’s nine National Wildlife Refuges and wilderness in general, so special attention will be given to innovative projects centering on the theme of wilderness in Nevada. However, we will also accept the following themes:
-Nevada’s wild lands
-wilderness study areas, wildlife refuges, etc.
-general Nevada landscape
-plant life and geographical features
The goal of this exhibition is to engage our community with art centered on wild Nevada in order to inspire them to protect and preserve these special places and unique wildlife. Your art will help us generate awareness and share the unique stories of the nine scenic National Wildlife Refuges that call Nevada home.
We would love to see pieces included at diverse price points, so if you have prints available or can include a piece costing less than $50 we encourage you to submit.
- Friends of Nevada Wilderness is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to caring for and preserving our wild lands. Our mission is to preserve all qualified Nevada public lands as wilderness, protect all present and potential wilderness from ongoing threats, educate the public about the values of and need for wilderness, and improve the management and restoration of wild lands.
- This is a for-sale exhibition. 40% of the art proceeds will go to Friends of Nevada Wilderness to support our stewardship and advocacy efforts throughout our state’s wild lands. The artist will retain the 60% of the sale price.
-Artists can submit up to 12 images. JPEG format at maximum quality. The file name MUST follow this format: lastname-firstname-title.
-Word Document listing the information below along with a thumbnail of the image for each submitted file:
- Artist’s name
- Wilderness area or location represented
- Special shipping costs (all art sales will be shipped from the online gallery)
- Year produced
-Short artist statement
-Short artist biography
- NAME OF APPLICANT & CONTACT INFORMATION: Applicants must provide a current address and a valid e-mail address. The e-mail address provided will be used to send out the final notification letter.
- Artists are responsible for matting and framing.
$0 There are no fees to enter, however, Friends of Nevada Wilderness will receive 40% commission on the sale of any art pieces.
-Last day of submissions: June 28th, 2020
-Participating artists will be notified no later than: June 30th, 2020
-Exhibition Dates: Saturday, July 10th through Thursday, July 11th
SUBMIT MATERIALS OR QUESTIONS TO:
NON-DISCRIMINATION: The program encourages and welcomes the participation of artists from all backgrounds and does not discriminate with regard to age, race, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion, marital status, or nation of origin.