Looking for an Outdoor Job?
Work with our Stewardship Team this summer!
Summer Conservation Program Assistant
300 hr AmeriCorps Position
Host Site Supervisor: Nora Kaufmann
Location: Reno, Nevada
Position: Average 40 hours per week/300 hours total
Duration: Mid-May – Mid-August, 2019
Assist and lead a variety of conservation projects throughout Nevada, mostly in back-country settings, manage volunteers in remote locations, identify outreach opportunities, participate in volunteer recruitment activities such as tabling at community events, give presentations to community events, clubs and organizations, prepare and distribute press releases and media packages, learn all aspects of volunteer coordination, assist in educational presentations throughout the community, and provide photos and written content for FNW email and newsletters.
- Assist and lead a variety of stewardship projects throughout Nevada, mostly in backcountry settings where hiking between 1-10 miles and carrying heavy loads may be required.
- Manage and support volunteers in remote locations, keeping them comfortable and enthused
- Take photos and name, edit, and store photos from stewardship program trips and events
- Accurate and timely inputting of data and preparation of project files
- Participate in volunteer recruitment activities such as tabling at community events
- Give presentations about Friends of Nevada Wilderness and current volunteer opportunities at community events, and to clubs, classrooms, and organizations.
- Assist in preparation and distribution of press releases and media packages regarding stewardship opportunities and events to media outlets
- Distribute and maintain posters and fliers throughout the community
- Provide written content and photos for Friends of Nevada Wilderness’ once-a-month e-mail and twice-a-year print newsletters
- Keep equipment clean and in working order at all times
- 18 or older
- US citizen or equivalent
- High School Diploma/GED
- Ability to hike up to ten miles per day with a 40-pound pack.
- Basic Computer skills- Word, Excel, data Entry
- Flexibility regarding work schedule, weekends will be required*
- Self-motivated and flexibility in working in a multi-task environment
- Current Driver’s License required
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse population
- Off highway driving experience and the ability to handle large vehicles
- Enjoy the outdoors - due to the remote nature of work, camping will be required
- Degree or some college in a related field
- Backcountry camping/backpacking experience
- Backcountry cooking experience
- Leadership experience in a backcountry setting
- Environmental education background preferred but not required
- Wilderness First Aid certification
- Americorps Stipend - $1,212.50/month and additional $500 stipend awarded by FNW
- Education Award at completion of service - $3,047 towards qualifying school expenses and student loans
- Invaluable experience running all aspects of a conservation program, managing volunteers, and coordinating projects.
- Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This position does not have recurring access to vulnerable populations.
- Nevada Outdoor School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or age in its programs, activities or in its hiring and employment practices.
- This AmeriCorps program is made possible by a generous grant from Nevada Volunteers.
- There is no housing or transportation (except to stewardship projects and events from the office) provided with this position.
To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and references directly to email@example.com with the subject line "Conservation Program Assitant".
*Note: The AmeriCorps member responsibilities require a flexible schedule to be determined weekly or monthly with their supervisor. This position does require frequent weekend work.