Looking to spend a year in wild Nevada? Becoming a Friends of Nevada Wilderness AmeriCorp Stewardship Associate is a great way to do so. The stewardship Associate will help with all aspects of our stewardship program including, assisting with volunteer stewardship events, planning our annual Wingding volunteer party, recruiting volunteers for stewardship events and so much more. Click through to see the full position description:
Service Position Advertisement!
Position Title: AmeriCorps Stewardship Associate
Host Site Supervisor: Renee Aldrich, Northern Nevada Stewardship Coordinator
Position: Average 40 hours per week/ 1700 total
Length: September, 2013- September 2014 or 1700 hours
Location: Based out of Reno, NV with a lot of travel
Reports to: Northern Nevada Stewardship Coordinator
Summary: The Stewardship Associate will inspire interest, appreciation, advocacy and stewardship of public lands across Nevada. The Stewardship Associate will assist in planning stewardship projects including but not limited to improving and maintaining backcountry trails, treating areas for noxious weeds, removing old fence, fire restoration projects and improving riparian habitat. They will also help with event planning and coordination and be responsible for some data entry.
- Assist in and lead a variety of stewardship projects throughout Nevada
- Travel to remote, backcountry settings throughout Nevada
- Due to the remote nature of work sites, camping will be required at undeveloped recreation sites
- Assist in the annual Wingding volunteer appreciation party
- Identify outreach opportunities
- Participate in volunteer recruitment activities
- Give presentations about wilderness, highlighting stewardship opportunities and programs
- Prepare and distribute press releases and media packages regarding stewardship opportunities and events to media outlets
- Distribute and maintain poster and fliers in location throughout the communities
- Update and add new media contacts to database as needed.
- Provide stories and photos for Friends of Nevada Wilderness newsletters
- Name, edit and store photos from the stewardship program trips and events
- Learn all aspects of volunteer communication
- Accurate and timely inputting of data
- Accurate and timely preparation of project files
*The above are intended to be a general description, there will be other duties as assigned.
- 17 or older
- US citizen or equivalent
- High School Diploma/GED
- Basic Computer skills- Word, Excel, Publisher
- Flexibility regarding work schedule, working weekends
- Self-motivated and flexibility in working in a multi-task environment
- Current Driver’s License required
- Ability to lift heavy objects
- Off highway driving experience and the ability to handle large vehicles
- Ability to communicate and work with a diverse population
- Enjoy the outdoors
- Degree or some college in a related field
- Backcountry camping/backpacking experience
- Leadership in a backcountry setting
- First Aid Training, Wilderness First Aid preferred
- Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This AmeriCorps program is made possible by a generous grant from Nevada Volunteers.
- Nevada Outdoor School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status or age in its programs, activities or in its hiring and employment practices.
- AmeriCorps members are expected to wear AmeriCorps logo or apparel while serving.
- The member will participate in three service days with Nevada Outdoor School’s AmeriCorps Program and other community-wide events throughout the service year. Additionally, the member will participate in regular team meetings and trainings twice a month on Fridays at 9:00 am at the Nevada Outdoor School office, 655 Anderson St, Winnemucca, NV or via conference call. Members may not miss more than 2 team meetings per term.
- This description lists the minimum service requirements.
Total Hours per Week: 40 hours
*Note: The AmeriCorps member responsibilities require a flexible schedule to be determined weekly, monthly with their supervisor.
To Apply please send a cover letter, resume and Three references to Darcy Shepard at email@example.com. You will also have to apply through the AmeriCorp program as well.